Recently updated on March 6th, 2023 at 01:29 am
Editor’s Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. For full details visit the disclosures page.
Sofa beds are a convenient way for homeowners to make sure that your overnight guests have a place to sleep. Although they were not very comfortable when they first came on to the scene, they did prove helpful for people who did not have extra space for a guest room. Nowadays, sofa beds have become much more comfortable and are designed not only for comfort but also for durability. The sofa bed mattresses available in today’s market are thick and made with high-quality materials and innovative technology like other mattresses. If your current sofa bed mattress is not to the most comfortable to sleep on, you can swap it out for a better one as there are many excellent sofa bed mattresses available on the market today.
Types of Sofa Bed Mattress
Before you order or purchase a new sofa bed mattress, one of the first things you need to do is consider the type that is best for you. Determining the type of sofa bed mattress, you want beforehand will ensure that you have one that meets your specific needs and budget perfectly. Here is a look at the different types and kinds of sofa bed mattresses you will find in today’s market.
- Latex Sofa Bed Mattress: If you prefer mattresses that are more on the firm or hard side, you should opt for a latex sofa bed mattress. Because they are constructed partly from soy plants and rubber trees, latex sofa bed mattresses are also the most environmentally friendly option available on the market. When buying this type of sofa bed mattress, you should make sure that it is made with natural latex rather than synthetic as synthetic latex tends to discolor when exposed to sunlight and break down much faster. Make sure that you buy your new sofa bed mattress from a company that uses real latex.
- Memory Foam Sofa Bed Mattress: This type of sofa bed mattress is not too hard and not too soft. Because of this cushion-firm feel, sofa bed mattresses made from memory foam are the most preferred type. You will find that they are the best choice for sleeping every night. It is also for this reason that they are perfect for accommodating the occasional out-of-town guest. Guests have different sleeping preferences, and a medium-firm sofa bed mattress will ensure their content for sure. Keep in mind that chiropractors and physicians recommend memory foam as it offers pressure-relieving benefits.
- Foam Sofa Bed Mattress: When compared to natural latex or gel memory foam sofa bed mattresses, foam ones are somewhat less luxurious. However, high-density foam is a less expensive alternative that is extremely effective in doing away with the feel of the mechanism of a sofa bed. You should choose high-density foam because of the higher the density, the more supportive and durable it is. It is a good idea to check out foam sofa bed mattresses made with soy-based foam as this type of foam is more breathable and an eco-friendly alternative to a traditional petroleum-based one.
- Air Over Coil Sofa Bed Mattress: This type of sofa bed mattress is actually an air mattress that has coils in the base. Some of the benefits of an air-over-coil sofa bed mattress include adjustable comfort – the firmness can be adjusted with a hand-held inflator, and when it is inflated, the mattress will expand and get you further away from its sofa bed mechanism. The problem with air-over-coil sofa bed mattresses is that this is a patented technology and there are not that many models out there. However, you can find them if you do a little research. It is likely that you will find this type of sofa bed mattress online or in some storefronts.
- Soil Sofa Bed Mattress: This is the type of mattress that comes standard with the majority of sofa beds, and it is likely the cause of all the problems you are currently facing. Coil sofa bed mattresses, unfortunately, have the reputation of being the least comfortable of all the different types of sofa bed mattresses. Manufacturers produce coil sofa bed mattresses because they cut down costs significantly for retailers that carry their lineup. The bad news is that the consumers are the ones who have to suffer. If you have decided to purchase this type of sofa bed mattress, you should choose a model with heat-treated coils for stress relief.
Top 5 Sofa Bed Mattresses on the Market
Here is a look at 4 of the best sofa bed mattresses available in today’s market.
Apt2B Melrose Sleeper Sofa
Zinus Sleep Master 5-Inch Sofa Bed Mattress
This is a sofa bed mattress of top-notch quality that is made with gel memory foam. The Zinus Sleep Master Sofa Bed Mattress is medium firm, making it perfect for any sleep preference. It offers enough support and comfort to make sure that you or your guest gets great sleep throughout the night. At 5 inches thick, it is plush and comfortable, plus it holds its shape well. For a comfortable, durable sofa bed mattress, you should definitely go for the Zinus Sleep Master 5-Inch Sofa Bed Mattress.
Sofa Sleeper Replacement Mattress from Lifetime Sleep Products
Is your old sofa bed mattress lumpy and uncomfortable? You should check out the Lifetime Sleep Products Sofa Sleeper Replacement Mattress. It is made with high-quality memory foam with a medium-firm feel. It is sure to be comfortable regardless of what the sleeper’s preference is if you are looking for a high-quality memory foam mattress, the Lifetime Sleep Products Sofa Bed Replacement Mattress.
Sleeper Sofa Mattress from Eco Mattress Store
This is another excellent memory foam sofa bed mattress. As mentioned earlier, memory foam is one of the many affordable as well as popular options for anyone who is looking for a comfortable and inexpensive mattress for their sofa bed. With a medium-firm feel, the Eco Mattress Store Sleeper Sofa Mattress is one of the best sofa bed mattresses you will find out there. Choose this sofa bed mattress to ensure that you and your overnight guests sleep in comfort all night long.
Lilola Home Lucca Dark Gray Linen Reversible Sleeper Sectional Sofa with Storage Chaise
This sofa bed mattress is thick enough to ensure your comfort while sleeping, but at the same time, allows you to easily fold it into your sofa bed when you close it up during the day. Limited in living space? The Lucca Collection is the perfect choice for you! This two piece reversible sectional is easy to assemble. With a pull out bed and storage chaise, the Lucca Collection provides functionality for small space living in style! Available in many colors that will complement your home’s specific décor.
There are quite a few great sofa bed mattresses on the market for you to choose from. If you want to replace your current sofa bed mattress with one that provides the comfort, support and pressure relief that your body needs while sleeping, you should definitely consider the ones listed above and check out other high-quality ones that are available out there. There are hypoallergenic ones made with natural materials, firm ones to support your body, inflatable ones, budget ones, and many more. With a bit of research, you will definitely find the perfect sofa bed mattress that suits all your needs.