La-Z-Boy is a household name and chances are that you or your grandparents had one of their recliners for watching TV or napping. La-Z Boy was started in 1927 in Monroe Michigan. Their first product was a wood slat porch chair which eventually was upholstered and became a staple in living room furniture. Over the years as the company grew they expanded into other furniture and most recently, mattresses. It’s not always easy for legacy brands like La-Z-Boy to enter a new category, especially the online mattress startup category but they do have a lot going for them including a network of stores nationwide
Overview of the La-Z-Boy Mattress
Here’s a video with my thoughts on this mattress and my unboxing experience.
Construction of the La-Z-Boy Mattress
Below are the construction details as listed on their website.
• Ultra-comfortable bed-in-a-box
• Available exclusively on La-Z-Boy.com
• 100% Made in the U.S.A.
• Unique coil + foam construction
• 12.5” total height
• 1” Polyurethane Foam top layer
• 1” Polyurethane Foam bottom layer
• 1.5” Cool Flow Visco Foam with Copper layer provides antimicrobial properties and greater heat dissipation for a cooler sleep experience
• 1” Energex Foam layer, a highly adaptive, durable and breathable foam specifically designed to react in response to body heat
• 8” Elite Comfort individually wrapped reinforced steel internal pocket coils provide superior support for the hips, back and shoulders
• Heavier gauge coils around the perimeter prevent roll-off
• Coils in the center are pre-compressed to absorb partner movement and prevent sleepers from rolling together
• iCleanTM stain-resistant cover prevents spills from turning into stains
• Temperature-regulating Chiller Finish on the cover absorbs, stores and releases heat for optimal thermal comfort
• Expands on a flat surface in about 60 minutes
• Includes 100-night trial period
• 10-year Limited Replacement Warranty
How Much Does the La-Z Boy Lux Cost?
Here are the prices of the Lux as of this writing.
[table id=107 /]
Construction of the La-Z Boy Lux
Below are the construction details of this mattress.
- Ultra-comfortable bed-in-a-box
- Available exclusively on La-Z-Boy.com
- 100% Made in the U.S.A.
- Unique coil + foam construction
- 12.5” total height
- 1” Polyurethane Foam top layer
- 1” Polyurethane Foam bottom layer
- 1.5” Cool Flow Visco Foam with Copper layer provides antimicrobial properties and greater heat dissipation for a cooler sleep experience
- 1” Energex Foam layer, a highly adaptive, durable and breathable foam specifically designed to react in response to body heat
- 8” Elite Comfort individually wrapped reinforced steel internal pocket coils provide superior support for the hips, back and shoulders
- Heavier gauge coils around the perimeter prevent roll-off
- Coils in the center are pre-compressed to absorb partner movement and prevent sleepers from rolling together
- iCleanTM stain-resistant cover prevents spills from turning into stains
- Temperature-regulating Chiller Finish on the cover absorbs, stores and releases heat for optimal thermal comfort
- Expands on a flat surface in about 60 minutes
- Includes 100-night trial period
- 10-year Limited Replacement Warranty
- Body Depth: 75.0″
- Body Height: 12.5″
- Body Width: 53.0″
- Product Weight: 99.0 lbs
My La-Z-Boy Mattress Findings
The La-Z-Boy Lux feels great right out of the box. It also comes to shape right out of the box too and I attribute that to the quality foams used inside. I found this mattress to have a medium to medium-soft feel. As you can see from the picture below, it’s easy to push my hand into this mattress.
Here’s another view of me pressing into the mattress. The energex layer of foam is really forgiving and contours quickly but also recovers quickly. Having the spring system helps with support so it’s OK that this mattress is on the softer side, you still get really good support.
Here’s another shot with my 14 lb. bowing ball to illustrate sinkage and contouring. The springs and energex foam also help this mattress with bounce so its easy to switch positions at night.
The cover is made with a proprietary material called iClean which is stain resistant. I recently bought a stain-resistant recliner from La-Z-Boy and it does a phenomenal job of repelling stains from my 2 kids and dogs. Not only is it stain resistant but the fabric is still stretchy allowing you to get all the benefits of the contouring comfort layers.
Here you can see how well it contours for side sleeping. My shoulders really sank into this mattress which helps tremendously with comfort. I prefer to sleep on my side but if a mattress is too firm, I will end up on my stomach which is not an ideal sleep position. Inevitably I will change positions multiple times per night, which most people do, but I changing positions on this mattress is super easy because you have the springs system and foam that recovers quickly. I didn’t feel like I had to catapult myself out of my position.
Here’s a look at what’s going on inside the mattress when you apply pressure. Now when you are lying on it, the springs will be more engaged. However keep in mind that the perimeter coils, which I’m pressing down on are firmer than the inside coils to provide better edge support.
My Lay-Z-Boy Recommendation
Overall this mattress is a solid contender with the other online mattress brands. Pricewise it is more expensive than some of the other hybrids on the market but it is made in the USA using premium foams, springs and cover fabrics so it should have a great lifespan. It also comes with a 100 night trial as many of the online brands have. So you can certainly return it if you don’t like it and because it is Lay-Z-Boy, you can expect good customer service from a company that has been around almost 100 years.
I recommend this mattress for side sleepers that tend to sleep hot and change positions frequently. The mattress is versatile enough to accommodate back sleeping and occasional stomach sleeping.