The Cocoon by Sealy mattress was launched in 2016 and was one of the first all-foam mattresses to be sold online in a box. It was quickly met with success, and is now one of the most popular bed-in-a-box mattresses on the market.
The Cocoon by Sealy mattress is designed to provide pressure relief and support for all sleep positions. It features a top layer of cooling gel memory foam, a middle layer of supportive memory foam, and a bottom layer of high-density base foam.
The Cocoon by Sealy mattress is also backed by a 10-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial. This means that customers can try out the mattress for 100 nights and return it for a full refund if they are not satisfied.
The Cocoon by Sealy mattress has been praised by critics and consumers alike for its comfort, support, and value. It is a great option for anyone looking for a high-quality mattress that is also affordable.
Here are some of the benefits of the Cocoon by Sealy mattress:
- Pressure relief: The Cocoon by Sealy mattress conforms to your body’s natural curves to provide pressure relief where you need it most.
- Support: The Cocoon by Sealy mattress provides support for all sleep positions, so you can wake up feeling refreshed and well-rested.
- Cooling: The Cocoon by Sealy mattress features a cooling gel memory foam layer to help you stay cool and comfortable while you sleep.
- Value: The Cocoon by Sealy mattress is a great value for the price. It is made with high-quality materials and construction, and it comes with a 10-year warranty.
I received a free Cocoon mattress for review from Tempur Sealy. The Cocoon mattress is a mattress in a box made by Sealy. Sealy has been in the mattress industry since 1881 when the founder, from Sealy Texas, began compressing cotton for use in mattresses. The company is now known as Tempur-Sealy making them the largest manufacturer of mattresses in the world.
The Cocoon mattress has been featured on Oprah’s Favorite Things list for 2016. Getting this endorsement from Oprah is a big accomplishment that should garner some recognition for the new brand.
Many of the newer online startups were created as a response to some of the offerings and business models that the traditional brands offered. I was eager to find out if Tempur Sealy would be able to compete with these brands through Cocoon.
Ordering the Cocoon Mattress
You can order a Cocoon mattress in two different levels of firmness through their website. You get free shipping with an estimate on when your mattress should arrive and it comes with a 100 night trial period. They even list 24/7 support which is something I have never seen before. The mattress arrives in a black box which gives it a sophisticated look and you can easily transport it to any room in your house to unbox. Below is a picture of the inside of the box upon opening. You get a fun picture in a frame:
Unboxing the Cocoon Mattress
Below is a video of me unboxing the Cocoon mattress. I noticed this mattress took a little bit longer to come to form than other boxed mattresses. I think this is in part because the top layer of foam is a bit denser than others.
Specifications of the Cocoon by Sealy
The Cocoon comes in 2 levels of firmness, a firm and a soft. According to their website, the cover is made of a stretch-knit fabric with spun poly fibers to make it breathable. They don’t list specific densities of their foams but the soft has 3 layers of foam while the firm has 2 layers.
My Cocoon by Sealy Findings
I was able to compare both the soft and firm versions of this mattress. Which allowed me to do comparisons to help you decide which is best for you.
Here’s a picture illustrating sink in the soft version:
Here’s a picture of the firm version:
To get a sense of how they are constructed, I peeked under the cover of the mattress to show you how each layer reacts.
Here’s the soft Cocoon which has 3 layers:
Below is a video of the firm version which has two layers
As far as heat retention goes, I didn’t notice much difference between the two levels of firmness. Below is a video shot with my infrared camera to illustrate heat retention on the Cocoon Chill mattress:
Finally below are some videos of me dropping a bowling ball on the mattresses to illustrate motion transfer. Again, there’s really not much difference between the two as the top layer seems to be the same which is what is absorbing most of the motion.
Here’s the soft version:
My Cocoon Mattress Recommendation
What I like best about the Cocoon Chill mattress is the top layer. It is a very soft layer that conforms well and provides great pressure relief. Between the two, I liked the soft version the best. I really like to sink into my mattress and feel like it’s cradling every part of my body which this mattress does. It is cool to the touch and will help you unwind after a stressful day.
Tempur-Sealy is known for its high-quality memory foam mattresses and the Cocoon mattress is a very competitively priced mattress that incorporates top-notch materials with all the guarantees that a big brand like Tempurpur-Sealy can offer.
Yawnder readers get 25% OFF Chill Mattress + Free DreamFit Sheet Set + Free DreamFit Pillows Activate Here
Disclosure: We aim to highlight products and services you might find interesting, and if you buy them, we may get a small share of the revenue. I have an affiliate relationship with Cocoon.
The Cocoon Hybrid Mattress
The Cocoon Hybrid mattress is a medium-firm mattress that combines the pressure relief of memory foam with the support and bounce of pocketed coils. It is a good option for sleepers of all types, but it is especially popular with combination sleepers and side sleepers.
The Cocoon Hybrid has a four-layer construction:
- Cover: The cover is made of a soft, stretchy knit fabric that is designed to be breathable and cooling.
- Comfort layer: The comfort layer consists of 1 inch of Perfect Fit memory foam and 2.25 inches of premium memory foam. This combination of foams provides pressure relief and contouring to the body.
- Transition layer: The transition layer is made of 2 inches of high-density support foam. This layer helps to provide support and prevent the sleeper from sinking too deeply into the mattress.
- Support core: The support core is made of 8 inches of individually wrapped pocketed coils. These coils provide support and bounce, and they also help to reduce motion transfer.
The Cocoon Hybrid mattress is available in a variety of sizes, including twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king. It comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Overall, the Cocoon Hybrid mattress is a good option for sleepers who are looking for a medium-firm mattress that provides pressure relief, support, and bounce. It is also a good option for sleepers who are looking for a mattress that is breathable and cooling.
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Cocoon Hybrid mattress:
- Medium-firm feel that is good for sleepers of all types
- Provides pressure relief and contouring to the body
- Good support and bounce
- Breathable and cooling cover
- 100-night sleep trial and 10-year warranty
- Some sleepers may find the mattress to be too soft
- The mattress may not be supportive enough for very heavy sleepers
- The mattress is on the more expensive side