10 Little Known Facts About Mattress Toppers
Origins: Mattress toppers have been in use since ancient times, with early versions made from natural materials like straw, feathers, and wool to provide additional comfort and insulation.
Material Innovation: Over the years, various innovative materials have been developed for mattress toppers, such as gel-infused memory foam, latex, and bamboo, each offering unique benefits in terms of comfort, temperature regulation, and support.
Allergy-Friendly Options: Hypoallergenic mattress toppers made from materials like latex, bamboo, and organic cotton can help reduce allergen exposure for those with sensitivities or allergies.
Dual-Purpose Toppers: Some mattress toppers not only provide added comfort and support but also serve as a protective barrier against wear and tear, prolonging the life of your mattress.
Sleep Position Specific: Mattress toppers can be tailored to specific sleep positions, such as side, back, or stomach sleepers, to provide targeted support and pressure relief.
Customizable Firmness: Some mattress toppers allow users to adjust the firmness level, making them suitable for a wide range of sleep preferences.
Temperature Regulation: Toppers with cooling properties, like gel-infused memory foam or phase change materials, help regulate body temperature for a more comfortable sleep experience.
Eco-Friendly Options: Some mattress toppers are made from sustainable and environmentally friendly materials, such as organic cotton or natural latex, which can appeal to eco-conscious consumers.
Thickness Variation: Mattress toppers come in a variety of thicknesses, typically ranging from 1 to 4 inches, allowing users to choose the level of cushioning and support they prefer.
Compression Recovery: High-quality mattress toppers can quickly regain their original shape after compression, ensuring consistent support and longevity.
Sleep is essential for a balanced mind and body. Unfortunately, sleep is not as easy to come by as it used to be. High on the list of things affecting your sleep quality are your sleep products ranging from pillows, sheets to mattresses. Now, mattresses play an extremely important part of getting you that sound and restful sleep, but it is not always an affordable option.
A good quality mattress can set you back by quite a few bucks. This is where mattress toppers come to play. Mattress toppers help in both prolonging the mattress lifespan and making your used mattress to work effectively for a couple more years. They can help you save on the cost by giving a new life to your old and lifeless mattress as well as increasing the life of your brand-new mattress.
There are a few considerations that you should keep in mind before you buy the mattress topper. This article will guide you through those considerations and help you find the right mattress topper that will save you the cost of investing in a new mattress without compromising on your beauty sleep.
What is a Mattress Topper?
There are several types of mattress toppers available in the market, each with its unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most common types of mattress toppers:
Memory foam mattress topper: Memory foam mattress toppers are made of high-density foam that conforms to the shape of your body. They offer excellent pressure relief and are ideal for those who suffer from back pain.
Latex mattress topper: Latex mattress toppers are made of natural or synthetic latex foam. They are breathable, hypoallergenic, and offer good support and pressure relief.
Featherbed mattress topper: Featherbed mattress toppers are made of down feathers and offer a soft and fluffy feel. They are ideal for those who prefer a plush and luxurious sleeping surface.
Wool mattress topper: Wool mattress toppers are made of natural wool fibers and offer good insulation and temperature regulation. They are ideal for those who sleep hot or cold.
Gel mattress topper: Gel mattress toppers are made of gel-infused foam and offer excellent cooling properties. They are ideal for those who sleep hot and want a cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
Egg crate mattress topper: Egg crate mattress toppers are made of convoluted foam and offer a textured surface for added comfort and support. They are ideal for those who prefer a firmer sleeping surface.
Pillow top mattress topper: Pillow top mattress toppers are made of a soft and plush material that is sewn onto the top of the mattress. They offer a luxurious feel and extra cushioning.
Microfiber mattress topper: Microfiber mattress toppers are made of a synthetic fiber material that is soft and breathable. They offer good support and are ideal for those who prefer a softer sleeping surface.
Difference between Mattress Topper and Mattress Pads
There a lot of confusion regarding mattress toppers and mattress pads or protectors. Mattress pads are a thin layer that is used for protecting the mattress from dust, moisture, and stains. Mattress pads are not used for cushioning and added support. This thin layer of material might provide a little extra cushioning, but unlike mattress toppers, mattress pads are not used for that purpose.
Mattress toppers, on the other hand, are not meant for protecting the mattress but are used for added support and better comfort.
A mattress topper is a thick piece of foam or pillow-top material that goes underneath your mattress pad or protector. A mattress pad is made from more plush materials and is used to make your bed feel more cozy. A mattress topper is often confused with a mattress protector and is used to increase the firmness, thickness or feel of your mattress. A mattress pad is a thin material that is attached to straps or a fitted sheet. A mattress protector is a thinner, designed to protect a mattress from spills and contaminants. A mattress topper is a thicker, extra-soft material that’s usually added to a mattress. Mattress protectors come in different shapes and sizes, with different features. You can choose a protector that meets your specific needs. You may not need a mattress pad or mattress protector if you have a bed that is at least 18 inches thick. If you have a bed that is less than 18 inches thick, you may need
- Mattress toppers are generally more thick and supportive than a mattress pad, and mattress pads often use cotton or more plush materials to soften up a bed.
- A mattress topper is a thick piece of foam or pillow-top material that goes underneath your mattress pad or protector.
- A mattress protector doesn’t include padding. It’s used to protect a mattress from spilled liquids and contaminants like allergens, bed bugs, and dust mites.
- Mattress Toppers are designed to protect a mattress from accidental spills, whereas Mattress Pads are not.
- Mattress Toppers are machine washable and come with a lifetime warranty, while Mattresses Pads typically do not.
- Mattress Toppers can be used on any type of bed, while Mattresses Pads typically only work with certain types of mattresses.
- Mattress Topper is a thin, cushion-like product that is placed on top of your existing mattress and is designed to protect it from spills and stains.
- Mattress Pads are thicker pieces of fabric or foam that are placed on either side of your bed and are designed to act as a shock absorber, keep the bed frame stable during sleep, and prevent noise from traveling up through the bedding.
- Mattress Pads should be replaced every 6 to 12 months, depending on frequency of use, whereas Mattress Toppers can last up to 2 years.
Types of Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers are classified depending on the type of material used in their construction. There are essentially five types of mattress toppers available in the market. These include:
- Foam and Memory Foam: These mattress toppers are the most popular. This is because memory foam is a medium soft material that easily molds to your body structure, giving you that extra comfort. At the same time, it does not sink with your weight. This evenly distributes your body weight, giving you the required support.
- Down Feather: This is the softest mattress topper option. If you are looking for a plush and luxurious mattress topper in which you can simply revel in the softness, then down feather is the best option for you. However, it does not give adequate support and is not suitable for sensitive people prone to allergies.
- Wool: These are the best bed for those living in colder regions with hard winters. These are excellent at regulating body temperatures, but they are also the most expensive of the lot. Apart from this, wool toppers are also not readily available in the market.
- Latex: Latex is made from natural materials and is suitable for those prone to allergies. However, you might want to make sure that you do not suffer from any latex allergies. Latex toppers are a little expensive than foam and feather options, and they are also prone to discoloration in the long run.
- Cotton and Polyester: These are the cheapest mattress toppers. They also offer excellent breathability features and rank high on softness. But, cotton toppers are prone to easy wear and tear and are not adept at providing good support to the body.
There are several types of mattress toppers available on the market, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Memory foam is often lauded for its contouring ability, which can help alleviate pressure points. However, some users find that memory foam has an initial odor that dissipates over time. Down feather toppers are known for their luxurious feel, but they may lose feathers over time and need to be fluffed periodically. Regular pillow material toppers are a more affordable option, but they may not provide the same level of support as memory foam or down feather. Ultimately, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each type of material before making a decision.
- Mattress toppers are available in a variety of materials: Mattress toppers can be made with different types of foam, down feathers, or regular pillow material.
- There are pros and cons to each type of material: Memory foam often has an odor at first, while down feather may lose feathers over time.
- Consider the positives and negatives before making a decision: The different types of materials have their own pros and cons.
Reasons to Buy a Mattress Topper
There are several reasons to invest in a good mattress topper at any point in your mattress life. Some of the reasons that will make you reach out for your wallet are:
- Cost-Effective Solution
- Extra Comfort
- Improves Mattress Support
- Even Body Weight Distribution
- Improves Mattress Lifespan
There are many reasons to buy a mattress topper. The most common reason is to make the bed more comfortable. A topper can also be used to extend the life of a mattress or to match a sleeper’s sleep style.
A mattress topper can help make a bed more comfortable by increasing the firmness of the mattress. This can be especially helpful for people who have back pain or need extra support for their spine. There are different types of firmness available, so it is important to choose the right one for the user.
People who like a soft and fluffy feel might want to buy a mattress topper that is made of feathers. Feathers are cheaper than other materials, so this can be a good option for people on a budget.
When to Buy a Mattress Topper
A Mattress topper is a cost-effective solution, but only if you are looking for:
- Better Comfort
- Added Support
A mattress topper can help soften your sleeping surface to adding a layer of extra comfort. It also helps by providing better weight distribution. However, a mattress topper cannot help you if your regular mattress is too old, lumpy, and sagging. This is generally the case with mattresses over 10 to 15 years old that have been regularly used. You will be better advised to replace your mattress in this condition since a mattress topper will only be a short term fix and a long term expensive deal in such a situation.
Buying Guide for a Mattress Topper
- Usage: If you are looking for better support, good firmness, or relief from chronic pains and pressure points, then you should look for the memory foam options. These hold the body shape and give good contour features with even weight distribution and excellent lumbar support.
- Comfort: For enhanced comfort and better plush, you cannot go wrong with cotton/polyester blend or the ever-popular down feather. However, your definition of comfort and softness might be different. If you are looking for comfort with support, then softer and thicker memory foam is your best bet.
- Density: You get toppers ranging from 2 inches to 8 inches in density. The higher the level of comfort and softness you need, the higher the density you should be looking out for. Contradictorily the higher the level of support you want, the lower the density should be. If you are a side sleeper, have an old mattress, or are heavier in weight, then a higher density is better.
Both memory foam and latex come in plenty of density options. You can easily find the density level to suit your exact preference. Other materials are a bit trickier in this department.
- Sensitivity and Allergies: While down feathers are best for a rich softness, they are also not suitable for those prone to allergies or with sensitive skin and temperament. Cotton is the most hypoallergenic amidst all the toppers. Even latex is a good option in this category.
- Temperature Regulation: The material of the topper can help you with even body regulation through the night. Wool, cotton, and down feather are the best body temperature, regulators. They are warm in winter and remain cool in summers.
Memory foam and latex are the worse. They tend to trap body heat, and you might wake up sweating in the middle of the night. The thicker the mattress topper, the worse it can get. However, there are options for memory foam mattresses as well, like gel-infused memory foam that helps to keep the body temperature even.
- Noise Isolation: The best option for reducing noise while tossing, turning, or getting in and out of bed is memory foam and latex. You will not get disturbed by shifting around on the mattress with these materials.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Mostly, toppers will have to be spot cleaned. Once again, memory foam and latex are the easiest to clean. Cotton is also simple. However, down and wool can get difficult to clean. So make your choice accordingly.
- Warranty: Mattress toppers come with 1 to 5 years of warranty. This does not include sagging of the topper due to weight.
- Price: This is a very important factor to take into consideration while looking for a mattress topper. Keep a figure in mind and try to find the best available option in that price frame. You should look for the highest value for money option rather than going for the most expensive or even the cheaper options.
There are a few things you should keep in mind when purchasing a mattress topper. Firstly, consider the price—you don’t want to overspend on something that will only offer subpar comfort. It’s also important to think about the topper’s durability—you’ll want something that will last through many nights of use. Finally, test the topper before you buy it to make sure it’s comfortable for you. With these factors in mind, you’ll be sure to find the best mattress topper for your needs.
When to Buy a Mattress Topper
To select the best mattress topper, consider customer reviews, price, and ease of cleaning.
Many of the best mattress topper deals are available throughout the year.Toppers with generous trial periods are a big draw, as is the convenience of warranties.
Black Friday is the best time to buy a mattress, and there are deals all throughout the year.
Our guide is frequently updated with the best deals on toppers.
There are three main types of mattress toppers: memory foam, gel, and down. Memory foam is the most popular type of topper, and is known for its comfort and support. Gel toppers are becoming more popular, as they offer a cooler sleeping surface. Down toppers are the most expensive type of topper, but offer the best in terms of comfort and luxury.
The best time to buy a mattress topper is during Black Friday sales in November, or during Presidents Day or Memorial Day sales in February or May. However, deals on mattress toppers can be found throughout the year. Toppers with generous trial periods are a good choice, as is the convenience of warranties.
Top Mattress Toppers
Dual layers for optimal softness and support
|6 size options|
Not good at noise isolation
Elastic bands to secure the topper
|Chemical smell from memory foam|
|300 TC satin cover|
This is the best option for a plush, soft, and luxurious mattress topper. This is a great choice for those that are looking for the ultimate comfort without sacrificing support. The 4-inch thickness ensures that the mattress topper gives you good comfort and has high pliability.
It is the best mattress upgrade. This ViscoSoft mattress topper features 2.5 inches of cool gel-infused memory foam. This gel-infused memory foam layer is then topped with 1.5 inches of the alternative down layer. So you get the most of memory foam without the hassle of body heat-trapping, and you get to experience the down softness as well.
The topper comes with a satin cover to add to the silky texture. The cover comes in a 300 thread count to make it even more silky and soft to touch. The elastic straps around the corners help keep the mattress topper properly secure and are wide enough to fit an 18-inch thick mattress.
- 4-inch density (2.5-inch gel-infused memory foam and 1.5 inches down alternative)
- High-density memory foam used
- Body temperature regulation
- Quilted pillow-top cover with 300 TC
- Removable and washable cover
- 100% USA manufactures materials used
- Certi-Pur certification
- Available in 6 sizes
- 60 days money-back guarantee
- 3 years warranty
Most Suitable For:
- All Sleep Position Especially Side Sleepers
- Wanting Extra Soft Comfort
|Optimal air circulation|
Good back support
|Soft memory foam for added comfort|
The Lucid mattress topper is an excellent option for those suffering from chronic back pain or looking for good back support. It helps in even bodyweight distribution that greatly contributes to alleviating and relieving your backache problems. It comes in 2 and 3-inch thick density and is a medium soft memory foam version.
The medium softness ensures that your body does not sink into the mattress topper, keeping you in good body posture while you sleep. The mattress topper features optimal air ventilation. This added to the gel-infused memory foam provides you good body temperature regulation. It is also good at noise isolation and won’t have you waking up with every toss and turn.
- 2- and 3-inch density
- Special memory foam features high ventilation
- Memory foam is gel infuse for body temperature regulation
- Medium softness sleeping surface
- Available in 7 sizes
- 3-year warranty
Most Suitable For:
- Back Sleepers
- Wanting Soft Firmness
- Good Support
- Hot Sleepers
|Price (2 Inches)|
Price (3 Inches)
|King/ Cal King||$86.99|
|Hypoallergenic bamboo viscose cover|
Medium soft is not that soft
Good comfort and support blend
|Does not stay secure in place|
For those prone to allergies or have sensitive skin, a hypoallergenic mattress topper is the best choice. Recci memory foam topper comes with a cover made entirely of bamboo viscose. The bamboo viscose is 100% derived from natural bamboo. This makes it hypoallergenic and hence a perfect choice for the sensitive class. Furthermore, the cover is removable and machine washable.
The density of 3 inches makes it a good blend of comfort and support. The memory foam is on the medium-soft level. There is no elastic on the sides to secure the mattress topper on top of the mattress, but the underside has an anti-skid layer for keeping it in place.
- 3-inch density
- 100% pure memory foam used
- CertiPUR – the US and OEKO – TEX Certified
- Available in 4 sizes
- Temperature regulation
Most Suitable For:
- Side sleepers
- Prone to allergies
|Keeps body cool|
A little firm
High air ventilation
Good bodyweight distribution
Many people get put off from purchasing memory foam because it tends to trap body heat. The firmness provided by memory foam is perfect for those wanting good comfort with optimal support. This memory foam topper from Viscosoft is perfect for those looking for the support granted by memory foam with the feature of body regulation. It is a cooling gel-infused memory foam that allows it to keep your body cool. It also features a high ventilation channel system that promotes temperature regulation.
The topper also allows for optimal body weight distribution that aids in relieving pressure points. Your body will not sink into the topper, and you will have good back support while sleeping. The topper comes with a bamboo rayon cover that makes it suitable for people suffering from allergies as well. The cover is removable and machine washable.
- 3-inch density
- Cooling gel-infused memory topper
- Features highly breathable and ventilated design
- Removable and machine washable bamboo rayon cover
- Available in 7 sizes
- 60 days money back
- 3 years warranty
Most Suitable For:
- All sleeping positions
- Sensitive people
- Good back support
- Hot sleepers looking for the foam topper
|Optimal comfort and support|
Not very good at body temperature regulation
Ideal for relieving pressure point aches
|Expensive price point|
Stays secure in one place
The Tempur Supreme Mattress Topper is made with their special “Tempur” material. The mattress gives good comfort and promotes good spinal alignment. The density is optimal at 3 inches, which allows the body the good support it requires without sinking too much into the mattress.
You have a variety of sizes to choose from. Further, the mattress topper comes with a bottom skid layer to help secure it in place. This anti-skid layer is made of polyester and cotton blend for optimal movement resistance. You also get a machine washable cover with the mattress topper to keep it clean and stain/odor free. On the flip side, this mattress topper tends to trap body heat while sleeping. The Tempur material used is not that effective at body temperature regulation. Hence, this might not be a good choice for hot sleepers.
- 3-inch density
- Made of 100% Tempur Material
- Made in the USA
- Machine washable cover
- The cover is 98% polyester and 2% elastane
- The bottom skid layer is 71% polyester and 29% cotton
- 10-year manufacturing warranty
Most Suitable For:
- All Sleeping Positions
- Good Back Support
- Cold Sleepers
|High comfort level|
Not suitable for sensitive people
Good body temperature regulation
The wool mattress topper by Parachute ranks very high on the comfort quotient. It is made from 100% virgin US wool and is hence of a very high-quality grade. It helps in providing adequate support to ease your pressure points. The wool used is spun loosely to promote natural air ventilation for high breathability that keeps you cool through the night. The material also effectively absorbs the body sweat keeping you nice and relaxed while asleep.
The natural wool properties allow this topper to resist any sagging and body impressions with use. It keeps hot sleepers cool and normal sleepers warm. The topper also makes for warm comfort during the cold winter nights.
- 75-inch pile density
- 100% virgin American wool
- 100% cotton underside
- Natural insulator
- Available in two sizes
- Elastic on four corners for securing
- Dry clean only
Most Suitable For:
- All Sleeping Positions
- Colder Regions
|Good spinal support|
Improved temperature regulation
If you are looking for a thin mattress topper, then this signature cooling topper from Nest Bedding is a good choice for you. It is designed to give you a cool to feel sleeping surface, which effectively leaches away your body heat to keep you nice and cool throughout the night. In addition to this, it also gives a nice plushness to the mattress.
It is made from “Energex Foam.” This foam resembles memory foam but is known to have a higher and better memory response. This ensures that you do not get the sinking feeling at any point during the night. The topper is medium-firm in hardness and gives adequate support to the body. You can even buy two toppers to create a better thickness if you want.
- 2-inch density
- Gel-infused Energex foam
- Medium firmness
- Available in 6 sizes
- Four corner straps for mattress attachment
- 30 days risk-free trial
- Made in Phoenix, Arizona
Most Suitable For
- Side and Back Sleepers
- Preferring Medium Firmness
- Hot Sleepers
|Good back support|
Natural odor control
Does not compress easily
Zinus 1.5 inch mattress topper is ideally suited for those looking for the best comfort and support blend on a budget. It is a highly cost-effective way of providing better comfort and back support on your existing mattress.
This also comes with green tea extract and castor seed oil, which naturally controls the odor. The memory foam used is of good quality that will not compress with use. It comes with CertiPUR – US certification for durability and efficiency.
- 5-inch density
- Good grade memory foam
- Green tea extract and castor seed oil infused topper
- Available in 5 sizes
- Cover is not included
- 5-year limited warranty
Most Suitable For
- People Preferring Firm Sleeping Surface
- Cold Sleepers
How Effective Are Mattress Toppers?
Mattress Toppers have proven to be highly functional and effective at improving comfort and body support.
A mattress topper can be a good way to improve the comfort of your bed. They are often less expensive than replacing an entire mattress, and many are made with breathable materials that can help keep you cool in the summer. Mattress toppers can also add some extra support if you have a problem with your spine or spinal cord.
Which Is the Best Topper for Relieving Joint Aches?
Memory foam mattress topper is the best mattress topper for relieving joint aches and pressure point symptoms. Cool gel memory foam is a better option since it even regulates your body temperature.
There are three main types of mattress toppers that are effective for relieving joint pain: memory foam, gel, and latex. Of these, memory foam is the most popular option and is often the most recommended by doctors. Memory foam contours to your body and provides support where you need it most. It is also very effective at absorbing impact, which can help to reduce pain in your joints. Gel and latex mattress toppers are also effective at relieving joint pain. They are both softer than memory foam, which can make them more comfortable for some people. Gel mattress toppers are also good at absorbing impact and helping to reduce pain.
What Is the Ideal Thickness for Mattress Topper?
The right thickness is very personal. It is different for everybody and depends entirely on your individual preference. A 3-inch thickness is generally preferred for providing optimal comfort and support.
Mattress toppers come in a variety of different thicknesses, each with its own benefits. The thickness you should choose depends on your personal preferences and needs.
Thin mattress toppers (under two inches) are less popular because they don’t provide much extra support or cushioning. If you do choose a thin topper, make sure it is made of a high-quality material that will still be comfortable.
Medium-thickness mattress toppers (two to four inches) are the most popular option. They provide a balance of comfort and support, and can be made from a variety of materials. This is a good option for most people.
Thick mattress toppers (over four inches) are best for people who want extra comfort and support. They can sink you into the mattress, making it difficult to move around, but many people find them very cozy.
Mattress Toppers are great at enhancing the quality of your sleep. You can choose one, depending on the level of comfort you want. It can be a soft feather topper to give plushness to your firm mattress or a firm memory foam topper to boost the level of spinal support. At the end of the day, you will not regret buying mattress toppers for your new or aging mattress.
A mattress topper is a cheaper way to change the feel of your bed, but it’s not as durable as a traditional mattress. It can enhance comfort, but it’s not as versatile as a traditional mattress. Mattress toppers come in a variety of styles and prices. It is important to test different mattress toppers to find the best one for you.